If they do anything else besides the show they have been doing for the past 10 years, it will surprise me.
With the football season approaching, so does the bands. How are some them looking so far (although early)? How many are out for each? Shows this year? Competitions?
Hear that Lee High has around 120 out and will be doing a 70's theme show ("In the Stone", "Beth/Detroit Rock City", "Heartache Tonight" and "Macho Man").
If they do anything else besides the show they have been doing for the past 10 years, it will surprise me.
I have helped Powell Valley out with band camp and some summer practices this summer. They aren't doing so badly. Their main problem is that they are very young as always. It's not a problem in the long run. The sound is improving as well as marching. They are making the show more interesting. Powell Valley has about 66 marching. Brass section is stronger. Just need to watch the dynamics.
Powell Valley's field show will theme the classic rock group Journey. Their selections are "Separate Ways," "Wheel In The Sky," "Anyway You Want It," and "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'." The intro to "Wheel In The Sky" is slow as it is an excerpt from "Open Arms" featuring a baritone duet between Megan Light and Lee Cobb. Trumpet player, Brandon Moore has a couple of solos.
The show this year is a custom arrangement; drill and music. It was arranged by former Saint Paul band director and former Powell Valley Middle School Principal, Jim Wardell, whose son Ryan will be the drum major this year.
I may add that PV has twelve color guards out.
I know that PV is doing the Lonesome Pine Competition at JJ Kelly as it is a county one and the McChesney as they are hosting it. I believe they are considering Davy Crockett in Tennessee and UVa Wise.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
The Burton band is some 85 strong from what I hear and always the best band in the LPD!!!! They are young but Bud Stewart is Mr. Burton Band and by the time competition comes around they will be great as usual!!! I understand they are doing some music with the ESPN theme song incorporated. Should be a neat show!!
I'd say Norton has the target painted on them from the other LPD bands that can compete. 85 is good. I'm sure it's good quality for Norton.
I remember about seven years ago Kelly had the best LPD band with about 30 or so.
Speaking of Kelly, I wonder what their show is.
I know Donnie Sorah's wife will be the director at Coeburn.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: centennialdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they do anything else besides the show they have been doing for the past 10 years, it will surprise me. </div></div>
Huh?? Not sure I understand what you mean there. I've seen each the past 10 years and been a part of them for 4 of those, but don't recall the same, if you're talking about Lee's???
actually it is the fox nfl sunday theme but same concept
That sounds like Burton could have an exciting season.
Powell Valley's Journey show is cool. Was custom written by Jim Wardell. My favorite piece that they are doing in their show is "Separate Ways."
I have helped them a bit throughout the summer. They are showing a lot of potential. Their main problem has always been their mindsets and not practicing as often as they should.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
i know for norton they have camp from 830-530 for like 2 weeks str8 i dont know how the other schools do it
Powell Valley has it from 9-9 for five days.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Bookmarks